(1) Job summary:
The Associate Director will work with our team to help grow, create, and sustain school culture. This is a leadership position. The Associate Director’s responsibilities are listed below and are designed to maintain a continual and broad emphasis on school vision and progress.
(2) The JCC nursery school:
We believe that children are creators of knowledge. We believe that learning, growth and development occur when children are faced with struggles, mistakes, successes and failures. When we allow children to confront dissonance, they are at their most powerful.
Jewish identity provides a framework for our journeys in the classroom. Most significantly, Judaism is a way in which we access values. Jewish holidays, texts, traditions, and artifacts are entryways into the values which form the context and content of our school and our relationships with each other.
We are an inclusive school that celebrates the diversity of learning and developmental profiles found in every child. We welcome different types of learners in our community and seek to find ways to honor and support differences.
The Saul and Carole Zabar Nursery School at The JCC in Manhattan takes full advantage of the vibrant and thriving Jewish cultural and community center that we are a part of. As such, the school is intimately connected with a myriad of programs and communities that add to the fabric of our school identity.
- Belief in the power of community
- Strong knowledge of progressive education, including theories related to child-centered, play-based classrooms
- Strong knowledge of Reggio-inspired approach to early childhood education
- Deep passion for values-based Jewish learning and living
- Self-identify as a life-long learner interested in continual personal growth
- Evidence of: Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Preferred experience: 5+ years teaching early childhood; relevant supervisory experience; Masters Degree in ECE general and/or special education
(4) Job responsibilities include but not limited to:
- School operations
- Work with Director to design and implement professional development opportunities for staff
- Deepen school vision of pedagogy, curriculum, Judaism, and families
- Maintain material and systems to support program operations Liaison with Parents Association; support and help plan PA events
- Create staff schedules including: specialist schedules, gym/roof use, staff meetings, home visits, and others
- Help plan and attend school functions such as new parent events, Shabbat dinners
- Assist in budget planning and managing program expenditures
- With administrative team, give admissions tours throughout the Fall season
- Special needs
- Along with the Special Needs & Educational Coordinator, work with families receiving related services and supports, including SEITs and therapies
- Help to guide these families through the CPSE and CSE process
- Along with the Special Needs & Educational Coordinator , work with classroom teachers to develop strategies for children with needs
- Supervise non-classroom teaching staff
- Including Parent Support Coordinator, Special Needs & Educational Coordinator, Music specialist, school librarian, and “Floating teachers”
- Liaison with non-school staff such as coaches, Family Life, and other JCC staff
- Along with the Director, meet with nursery families regarding the exmissions process
- Along with the Director, serve as liaison to the public and private ongoing school community
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the application process to public and private schools
- Oversee operational aspects of exmissions work
(5) Application process
All applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Start date July 1, 2014
Opportunity to learn from and with outgoing Associate Director during transition