Havurah is the first stage of Jewish Journeys, the Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan's creative and exciting Jewish educational experience for children. Havurah, for children 3-8 years old, takes place on Saturday afternoons in the warm, inviting atmosphere of the Marlene Meyerson JCC Manhattan. Together we celebrate Shabbat and Jewish holidays, learn Torah stories and grapple with big questions, practice Jewish values, and experience the rhythm and meaning of Jewish life.
Within each age group, we:
- Immerse ourselves in Torah stories by acting, crafting, and discussing responses to complex tales that have been told for generations.
- Experience rituals and learn narratives of Jewish holidays through activities including yoga, cooking, origami, computer programming, ceramics, and more.
- Celebrate Shabbat together through unique Shabbat traditions, as well as customary blessings over candles, grape juice, and challah.
- Sing and dance to holiday songs, Shabbat songs, Israeli songs, and songs about Jewish culture and values, while being exposed to Hebrew language in a fun and developmentally appropriate way.
- Adventure to diverse cultural institutions, from the Tenement Museum to the Central Park Zoo, linking the world around us to our Jewish identities.
- Participate in chesed opportunities, as community service is integral to Jewish life.
- Invite families to partner with us in the endeavor of Jewish education through weekly classroom reflections and occasional family programs.